Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Fancy Nancy Christmas Party


I've hosted numerous Fancy Nancy Parties during my three years at my current library system. Click here to read about them. But as popular as Fancy Nancy is, the parties get a little monotonous. This year, I decided to do something different and have a Fancy Nancy Christmas Party. Here's what I did:


We started off by signing "Jingle Bells" accompanied by Dean Martin and jingle bell wristlets. After that I read Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas.

We took another music break. This tine it was "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helm. I let the girls choose our second book. The choices were The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Jan Brett, The Christmas Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood, and Red Sled by Lita Judge. They chose The Night Before Christmas.

After that we played a game: Snowball Toss. I have the girls paper wads, practice golf balls, and wiffle balls to toss into a basket. If I ever do this again, I'll also include cotton balls.

We moved on to the craft portion of the event. I had two crafts for the girls to make: Christmas Cards and Jingle Bell Bead Ornaments.

For the cards, the girls glued a tree cut from scrapbook paper on a blank card.


The bead ornament is an idea I adapted from something I saw at a local elementary school last year. Secure a jingle bell on a pipe cleaner. Sting beads on, leaving enough pipe cleaner to make a loop at the top. Once it's complete, you can curl it around your fingers to give it a spiral shape.



After the crafts, we did a little indoor ice skating courtesy of some wax paper. This library branch's meeting room is tiny, so we ice skated in the main part of the library.

We did photos posed in front of a wrapped door with the girls holding a frame. I adapted this from something I saw on Pinterest.

We ended with snacks (cookies, holiday m&m's, and kool-aid). As the girls left, they picked up a packet with three sheets from the Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas event kit: a coloring sheet, a December activity calendar, and instructions of how to replicate Fancy Nancy's tree topper.

I was pleased with how this event turned out. We had 10 girls in attendance which was a good turnout given that we were limited to 20. I look forward to trying this event out next year at my other branches.

No comments: