Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Winnie-the-Pooh Party

I held this event at two of my branch libraries in January around the 18th (Winnie-the-Pooh Day/A. A. Milne's Birthday). The event last about an hour and a half and was for children age three and up. Children were invited to wear their favorite scarf and celebrate Winnie-the-Pooh.

We started off with a little quiz about the characters. I found questions online, in an event kit, and just made some up.

Using my crocheted bear and beehive hand puppets, I told chapter 1 of Winnie-the-Pooh, "In Which We Are Introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh  and Some Bees and the Stories Begin." 

We did a couple of activities with the flannel board: bees,beehive, bear & band-aids, and Find the honey Pot. I reused these from my Teddy Bear Picnic.


After that we moved onto other games. I found several fun game ideas on the Birthday Party in a Box website. We had a bouncing Tigger race (sack race), put bees in the garden (egg toss), a honey pot drop (gummy bears into a pot). We also played Pin the Bee on the Bear (another idea I reused from the Teddy Bear Picnic).


For the craft, we made Pooh stick puppets using yellow construction paper. I put out a request the Storytime Underground Facebook page and Lisa Mulvenna suggested this.

We had a simple snack and I sent the kids home with a coloring sheet and a book list (Books Similar to Winnie-the-Pooh...Animal Fantasy, Toys, etc.) I also used the book list to create a book display in the meeting room.


 I had planned to use Winnie-the-Pooh's ABC, but didn't. I also found a fun idea from Tracey on 1234 More Storytimes...a character version of " If You're Happy and You Know It," but didn't get to use it. You can also check out my Winnie-the-Pooh Party Pinterest Board.



No comments: