Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pete the Cat Party

Almost every children's librarian knows the Pete the Cat books written by Eric Litwin and illustrated by James Dean are pure storytime gold. Kids love Pete the Cat.

At one of my branches, the regular storytime day is Monday. We miss several storytimes because of bank holidays. Last fall I decided to make up for this by hosting a couple of special events on Friday mornings. The first I attempted was a Pete the Cat Party. Pinterest, a host of wonderful librarians (Meg, Kelsey, Lisa, Jane, and Jbrary), and the Make Learning Fun Pete the Cat theme page were instrumental to the planning of this event.

 
As the kids arrived, I invited them to answer two questions: Are you wearing buttons today? What color are your shoes today?

The storytime portion of the event involved my two favorite Pete the Cat books (Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes and Pete the Cat & His Four Groovy Buttons) and corresponding flannel board activities (Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes and Find the Button).



After storytime, we played Pin the Shoe on Pete the Cat (from the publisher). The kids colored their shoes as they arrived.


Then it was craft time. We made Pete the Cat paper bag puppets. I enlarged Pete's head from a coloring sheet I found on Make Learning Fun.



As the kids left, I offered them a Pete the Cat coloring sheet and a Pete the Cat Sudoku sheet for the older siblings (Both from Make Learning Fun).


2 comments:

Jane said...

Great job Bridget and thanks for the shout-out! I adore Pete the Cat.
~ jane

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

This sounds like fun! I bet my students would love it if I did a party like this is in the library. :)